Thursday 29 December 2011

Rained Off

I had proposed a visit to Marshside this morning, but howling gales and lashing rain put me off, I know, wimp !! So I decide to do an hours garden watching instead.

First up were 100 pink feet flying over going inland to feed on potatoes I expect.
A male Great Spotted Woodpecker was on the peanut feeder as I counted 13 Chaffinch, a Robin and 2 Blackbirds around the base. 8 Goldfinch, 3 Blue Tit and 2 Great Tit took it in turns on the sunflower hearts, whilst a Coal Tit spied it's chance to dart in and away with a mouthful.
Photos from earlier in the year !!
Upto 6 Wood Pigeons vied for seed on the bird table, as Pheasant and Dunnock cleared up around the base. I had Greenfinch and Collared Dove along with Magpie also visiting the table at intervals.
The local Grey Squirrel chases everything away occassionally, as it hangs upside down to take sunflower hearts from the 'squirrel proof' feeder !!
A big jack Rabbit is helping itself to the shoots on my roses !! 
I put 2 nest boxes up yesterday and I've just watched a Blue Tit investigate the inside of one of them !! They must be in acceptible locations, I hope so.  
I'll perhaps try Marshide later on if the weather changes, tide time is about 2 o'clock

No comments:

Post a Comment