Saturday 25 February 2012

A Quick Weekend Twitch

I had to take my mother for a hospital appointment this morning, so I had a look at the lake there for the reported Mandarin.
There it was tucked up under the near bank with its female Mallard consort.
Then I dropped into Marshside for an hour on my way home. Nel's is too flooded for my liking, lots of ducks, but nowhere for the waders to land except on the far bank. Wigeon and Teal were in the majority, with plenty of Pintail and a few Gadwall as well as Tufted and Shelduck.
I found some Snipe tucked in the long grass quite close to the hide and a small flock of Golden Plover on the far bank with Curlew, Black Tailed Godwit and Redshank.
Nice to see a couple of Hare boxing and hear the song of the Skylark.
Nothing added from Sandgrounder's except a flock of Linnet close in and Pink Feet over. A large flock of Golden Plover was on Crossens Inner in the distance.

My daughter rang at lunchtime to go for a walk with the kids to Mere Sands Wood this afternoon, well, beats gardening !!!
And if I could lose them for a bit, might get some birding in !!!

Two Bitterns had been seen recently from Rufford hide, and there was still one there, showing as well as bitterns do in the reeds.
Quite a big flock of Tree Sparrows now by the visitor centre on the feeders, but the Water Rail didn't show whilst I was there, it had been seen earlier.
A flock of Pied Wagtail on the adjacent ploughed field numbered about 20, must be migrating through.
Nothing else unusual around the reserve but Treecreeper is always a nice bird to see, as are the Bullfinch.
Great Crested Grebe displaying and a pair of Goldeneye from Gibbon's hide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment