Thursday 2 February 2012

RND Lifer

I saw a Ring Necked Duck reported on Birdguides within ticking distance at Thorton ICI near Fleetwood. The directions were to park at the delapidated offices and walk down Burglar's Alley !!
I found the offices easy enough, but Burglar's Alley was just a muddy track through the old ICI estate down to the river. I found the ICI lagoon and soon picked up the Duck, close enough for some photos.

Even one with a Tuftie in for comparison.
Note the lack of tuft, sharply pointed head, and white ring above a dark nail on the beak.

Having ticked that, a lifer and even better, a UK lifer, I dropped into Marton Mere on the way home, to look for Long Eared Owl. I stared at the old fruit trees for a while but couldn't pick anything out, they are notoriously difficult to make see with their camouflage and the fact that they don't move much to give themselves away !! I did have a clos view of a Sparrowhawk trying to take a Blackbird, but that was it.





No comments:

Post a Comment