Saturday 4 February 2012

Shorties

I've been trying to catch up with Short Eared Owls since Christmas, mostly looking over Crossens outer and Marshside from Mount Baker, but I'd never thought of Low Meadows until I saw  report from Graham of two there.
So yesterday afternoon I decided to take a look as it was freezing cold but nice and sunny.
I parked in the station and walked along the river bank to the Little Owl barn.
When I arrived I noticed a few photographers lined up on a rough pasture near the station, but thought it a bit too enclosed for Shorties, surely they must be waiting for Barn Owl. Anyway, I had Goosander on the river along with a Redshank exploring a bit of exposed mud. As the sun was in front, in my eyes, I decided to make it to the barn before I did any serious looking. Once there I could see Lapwing in all the pastures along with Jackdaw and Carrion Crow, Kestrel on the fence, Chaffinch and Reed Bunting on the trees in the ditch, no sign of Little Owl though. I picked up a nice male Merlin sitting on the ground in a ploughed field, which then had a quick fly round and landed back in the same place, and a Buzzard perched on some pheasant release pens.
Not much else about so I started back, as I approached the first style I could see, not one but two Short Eared Owls hunting over the rough pasture where the photographers were !!! Doh !!!!
I managed to get close enough and had good views of them in aerial combat for a while.
So as to be off the skyline and not disturb them, I went back along the bottom of the bank, only to have one come over my head at about 10 feet, brillant views and closer than I thought I'd ever get to such a fantastic bird, effortlessly floating in the air, and then beating it's wings in that stiff winged butterfly action.
I must remember what a good place Low Meadows is, I might have a look at the Burscough end next week for Yellowhammer if the weather is reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment