Monday 9 January 2012

Bewicks

I had heard that there were Bewick swans with the Whoopers at Hesketh Out Marsh, so I thought I'd drop in at lunchtime and have a look.
I found the 40 Whoopers in a field with some sheep, but no Bewicks, just as it started to drizzle and cloud up my glasses !!
As I drove home towards Banks on Shore Road, I saw a few swans in a stubble field at the dogleg with New Lane Pace. They were with sizeable flock of gulls, Herring, Black Headed and Lesser Black Back.
I pulled into the layby and scoped them, 8 adult and 3 juv. Bewicks Swans. Nothing to compare the size to, but the yellow on the beak was shorter and rounded than the Whoopers I'd just left.

That cheered me up after a miserable wet weekend. Only a trip to Lytham Moss, to chase Bean Geese again to speak of, and again a wasted journey. Although we did manage to find the correct roads this time and avaoid getting stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment