Saturday 14 January 2012

The Seagull At Last

Got it !!

The Glaucous Gull that's been at Weld Road for nearly a month now, I had it last year but needed it on this year's list.
I went for a walk with Jean on the beach at Weld Road as it was a lovely crisp sunny day, as we set off towards the boardwalk, I scanned the gull roost with binoculars as the tide was about an hour from high. There didn't seem anything big enough for a Glauc, until they all got spooked by a large white winged and tailed Gull. Yes, that's it, I went for my scope for a better look, but by the time I got back somebody had sent their dog out and all the gulls had moved south, so we decided to collect our dog and go to Mere Sands.

The car park was almost full, but first stop was Lancaster hide to see if the Water Rail was still showing.
I was the only person in, so it was nice and quiet, and I was careful as I approached the window. I had only just arrived when the Rail appeared on the tray.
Brilliant views, but the camera's in the car !!!
It was eventually chased off by a Moorhen, so we walked round the trail and had Nuthatch on the feed trays round the back. Took the camera for the Rail before we went home, it came back again, a bit dark for photos, but you can just make it out as it shoots back towards the reeds.
Too many people to stay too long today.

No comments:

Post a Comment