Tuesday 24 January 2012

Not bitten

Dropped into Mere Sands at dinnertime yesterday to look for the Bittern that had been reported a couple of days ago.
No Bittern for me after an hour staring at the reeds from Rufford hide, but plenty of Goosander, possibly upto about 20. All the usual Mere Sands species ticked, Great Crested Grebe, Bullfinch.....
Then onto Martin Mere for the Brambling, again dipped, but Willow Tit was showing well from Janet Kear hide.

Today I thought I'd look for Grey Plover on the high tide at Birkdale or Ainsdale, so I stopped at Weld Road at diinertime. The great JD was there looking at both Glaucoud Gulls together on the shrimper's track, one now obviously much whiter tha the other. Wilst I was talking to him he put me onto a Jack Snipe flying high over the green beach.
No waders on the beach here, perhaps a better chance at Ainsdale, but when I got there it was raining again, so I gave up for today, maybe try again tomorrow if the weather is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment